Thank you for purchasing this 1970 Model aspie. With care and attention to details you should have many years of quality friendship from this model. To maintain your model at optimum efficiency it is beneficial to familiarise yourself with these simple guidelines.
1. Be Understanding : Remember things you take in your stride and find easy may prove challenging or even upsetting to someone on the autistic spectrum.
2. Be Consistent : This may mean doing the same routine things over and over and over. You may be bored but to your Aspie friend this may be comforting. Also be aware that if you want to encourage your friend to try something new or unfamiliar you will need to do it at their speed. If they don’t like it don’t force them to stay.
3. Be Patient : An aspie’s reluctance to change may be perceived as stubbornness. They’re not being difficult just for the sake of being difficult. Try and understand their point of view without anger and try and present your arguments in terms they can relate to. Often stubbornness to change is a result of dealing with the unknown, giving them more information which they can absorb at their own speed can often (but not always) change their minds.
4. Be Proactive : If you are waiting for your aspie friend to contact you.. you might wait a while. They’re not good at instigating social situations. if you want an aspie friend to meet up try choosing a quiet low key place where external stimuli is at a minimum. Smaller crowds are better than large ones and don’t suddenly drop the decision on them.. give them time to mull it over and prepare themselves mentally for it.
5. Be Strong : Don’t get upset if you ask your friend if they’d like to do X, Y or Z with you and they reply along the lines of “No, I’d rather read this book/Watch this TV show/Listen to this Album” it’s nothing personal. They may not be needing social contact right now. A little goes a long way with aspies. They’re not trying to be offensive, just being honest.. which brings us to..
6. Be Honest : Aspies are not good at reading between the lines. If you don’t want to do something like see Rogue Squadron for the 15th time that week, when asked say “No I’d rather not” instead of “oh do what you like!” because if your average aspie hears that, that’s EXACTLY what they’re do. Communicate your thoughts, feelings and upsets clearly as possible.
7. Be Honoured : Aspies don’t make friends easily. if you have an aspie friend it’s because you’ve met every one of their list of exhaustive criteria. They trust you and feel safe around you. A friendly Aspie is a loyal Aspie. Once you have an Aspie friend you’ll find them to be a deeply caring friend. Remember you may have many many friends but the Aspie in your life may only have a couple. You may even be their ONLY friend. That’s quite the accolade.
By following these 7 simple steps you should have many happy years of aspie friendship. Just remember to check the underside for rust and oil occasionally for fault free operation.